14 Self-Care Habits to Help De-stress
Practice showing love to yourself (or someone special)
Written by Coach Dianne on Feb 1, 2019
1. Herbal foot bath
You know what supports you no matter what? Your feet. Yes, time to give them some TLC.
Choose a comfy seat. Fill a bucket or baking dish with hot water. Add in a few drops of essential oils like lavender for relaxation, slices of orange/lemon for rejuvenating steam, sprigs of dried or fresh rosemary, mint or eucalyptus.
Soak for 15 minutes. Rinse oils off, towel dry and enjoy relaxed muscles.
📸 Rayia Soderberg on Unsplash
Massage away at the arms, neck, head, thighs and calves. Add in some stretching for good measure to limber up those limbs.
📸 Toa Heftiba on Unsplash
3. Scent some candles
4. Yoga (for 1 or 2)
But seriously. Yoga focuses on balance and the push & pull of your systems. Great for centering yourself and increasing flexibility.
📸 Madison Lavern on Unsplash
5. Whip up 10 min Dark Chocolate Drops
– ¾ cup dark chocolate
– ¼ cup nuts or seeds of choice – pecans, almonds, cashews, chia seeds, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut shreds
– 1 pinch of salt (optional)
1) Melt dark chocolate in the microwave at 15 second increments, stirring each time, until smooth.
2) Drop ½ tbsp of dark choco on a parchment-lined surface. Stick on toppings.
3) Let firm up in the fridge for 8 – 10 minutes then Serve.
Wholesome treats to share (or not). Keeps up to 1 week in the fridge.
📸 Nordwood Themes on Unsplash
6. Pantry Pancakes
– 1/2 cup flour
– 1 tbsp sugar
– ½ tbsp baking powder
– ½ cup oat milk
– ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
– ½ tsp vanilla
– chopped nuts or seeds
– dried fruit
– coconut flakes
1. Mix all into a smooth batter.
2. Heat a pan on medium-low and pour 2 tbsps of batter for each pancake.
3. Cook until bubbles have formed on the surface, about 2-4 minutes. Flip the pancake over and cook for 1-3 minutes more.
4. Serve immediately with additional toppings & mayple syrup to taste
Store in fridge for up to a week, or in freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat in toaster oven, airfryer, or microwave.
📸 Catalin Pateo on Unsplash
7. Netflix & chill in bed
From spiritual possessions to jungle survival, the show challenges you to reflect on what it means to be committed.
📸 Creative Exchange on Unsplash
8. Warm up with Golden Milk
– 1½ cup almond milk (or your choice)
– 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
– ½ tsp cinnamon
– ½ tsp ground turmeric
– 1 dash black pepper to make turmeric bioavailable
1. Heat milk in saucepan until warmed, stir in rest of ingredients until combined.
2. Serve immediately.
Or make hot cocoa by switching out last 2 ingredients for
– 2 oz dark chocolate
– ½ tbsp cocoa powder
📸 Sarah Gualtierion on Unsplash
9. Take a walk in the park 🌺
Fresh air and FREE flowers! Just don’t pluck them, okay?
On a scientific note, walking in nature has been found to help reduce stress, boost immune system cells & improve mood by 2007 studies from Kyoto University & Nippon Medical School
📸 Matt Flores on Unsplash
10. Make Nice Cream 🍨
– 2-3 super ripe bananas, frozen in chunks
– 2-3 tbsp plant milk of choice, as needed
– 1 pinch salt
– optional vanilla & maple syrup
1. Blend frozen banana chunks with plant milk until soft serve texture.
2. Add in flavors like crushed oreos, nut butter, berries, or 3 tbsp of cocoa powder
3. Serve immediately or freeze covered in airtight container for 30 min – up to 2 weeks.
📸 Vendela Larsson on Unsplash
11. Tortilla pizza
– 2 tortillas
– 4 tbsp tomato paste (or 1/2 cup marinara sauce)
– 2/3 cup cheese of choice
– toppings you like
Pre-heat oven to 425 F /218 C. Optional, toast tortilla in pan or oven for 2-4 minutes for a crispier crust.
2. For each tortilla pizza, spread 2 tbsp of tomato paste or ¼ cup marinara sauce evenly.
3. Sprinkle on ⅓ cup of cheese of choice (daiya, mozz, mix) and any toppings (mushroom, bell peppers, pepperoni).
4. Place pizza on a wire rack in a baking tray. Bake at 425 F /218 C for 8-12 mins until tortilla has browned & cheese has melted.
📸 Toni Osmundson on Unsplash
12. Make a fruit bouquet
But sometimes good things come out of it – like fruit!
Take skewers and stab them through pieces of strawberries, watermelon, grapes, or whatever’s in the fruit bowl. Arrange in a tall mug. Voila!
13. Host a game night
14. Get swept off your feet by Regency Romance novels
The romance sections are chock-full of Mr. Darcy-esque novels ranging from innocent to scandalous tales.
Our guilty pleasures (or obsessions)?
– Secrets of a Summer Night
– My Lady’s Choosing
– Someone to Wed
If you prefer Sci-Fi or Fantasy, try
– The Faceless Mage
– Aurora Rising
– Magic Forged
📸 Toni Osmundson on Unsplash